Thursday, June 27, 2013

iPod Dilemma

This summer, Corrin has the opportunity to earn money to replace her stolen iPod.  But she wants it now.  Of Course.

This was taken from her backpack in school sometime in March.  It has not been seen since.  We thought she just misplaced it somewhere at the house, but after a week or so, we realized it was taken.  Too late to report it or to catch someone with it.  Very sad, as it was a present.

She is having fits over her friends all having one but not her.  We have devised a plan for her to earn money for it, but we (Jeff & I) are not buying her one, no matter the great deal we can get on one.

The issue is not the money, necessarily, but the fact that she doesn't feel she needs to work for it.  She wants to take money out of the bank to pay for it.  This would normally be ok IF she had been earning money all along.  Doing chores, helping out, not complaining.... That has not happened, so I don't feel inclined to pay for an iPod.

We had a deal - she would do chores for money (extra chores that is).  She hasn't done them in 12 weeks, so she has $0.  I think that's fair.  I remind her, suggest things to her, change the jobs around, ignore the fact she is doing nothing.... Nothing works.  Especially her.

I came up with a huge list of extra chores - things I HATE doing.   I put a dollar value on them and a frequency for each week.  I came up with $55 worth of things to do.  That's a lot.  That's a quick way to earn an iPod.

It sounds like a lot, but I got a quote of $180/week to have a cleaning lady.  So I figure I will be coming out ahead if I pay out the $55 and my work will be done.  I think that's more than fair.

I put each job on a craft stick and gave each child a cup.



When they do the job, they get the stick.  They turn in the sticks to get paid.  I think there is a lot of work, but each time they do it, it should get easier.  Here's my list:


  1. Clean pool baskets (2x/day)   $0.50  
  2. Walk Usher to stop sign and back  (5x/day)  $0.50
  3. Sort socks & put in people's rooms (2x/week)  $1.00
  4.  Vacuum Kitchen and Living room  (4x/week)  $1.00
  5. Fold towels and put away (unlimited) $0.50
  6. Brush Usher outside (1x/day)  $0.50
  7. Weed a flower bed (unlimited)  $1.00
  8. Write in your thankfulness journal (1x/day) $1.00
  9. Wipe down kitchen cabinets  (2x/week) $0.50
  10. Organize Tupperware drawer (1x/week)  $0.50
  11. Organize Tupperware closet (1x/week)  $0.75
  12. Vacuum Basement  (1x/week)  $1.00
  13. Wipe front doors (4x/week)  $0.50
  14. Vacuum each car 1x/week/car)  $1.00
  15. Wash baseboards - all bathrooms (1x/week)  $1.00
  16. Wash baseboards - 1st floor hall and mudroom (1x/week) $0.50
  17. Wash baseboards - Living room (1x/week) $0.50
  18. Wash baseboards - Kitchen (1x/week) $1.00
  19. Wash baseboards - 2nd floor hallway (1x/week) $0.50
  20. Wash baseboards - Basement (1x/week) $1.50
  21. Wash baseboards - Stairway - both (1x/week) $1.00
I can come up with so many more... Cobwebs, clean screens, dust ceiling fans, dust lights, dust china cabinet, take trash to curb, pick up sticks in yard before mowing... I'm sure you can come up with some too... what do you think??

I don't want to pay them for everything, although it feels like I am.  But I need them to see there is reward in working and helping.  There are things that no one gets paid for... Picking up their stuff around the house, cleaning the mudroom, putting laundry away, dishes, setting the table/clearing the table, picking up the pool stuff, and other responsibilities that we ask them to do.  

I am hoping the money reward will help to create habits.  I should pay myself for losing weight... hmmm.....


No comments:

Post a Comment